Who are you?
What is the purpose of this blog?
Since starting my current journey to lose weight I began collecting a lot of healthy information and tips along the way. I put the information into notebooks, saved them to my computer, printed charts, etc. I finally decided to gather it all together and organize them in one place…this web site!
Because I am still learning and still researching, some of the information may not be complete. This is why I definitely welcome any visitors to share their knowledge, experience…and even correct me on any misinformation I may have gathered. I am definitely not an expert. I’m just someone who wants to know everything I can about topics that interest me.
Aside from general health info, I will mostly use this blog to track my daily/weekly/monthly progress to my goal weight…and my life beyond the weight loss.
I look forward to getting to my healthy weight and staying there forever – with lifelong energy (…or JENergy!) and good health.
So, how am I currently losing weight?
I am counting calories – food calories and exercise calories. Plain and simple.
What tools do I use to count calories?
- The Daily Plate – an awesome web site for tracking food and exercise.
- A generic food scale. Soon to be this one.
- Polar 6 Heart Rate Monitor
- FreeDieting.com – to calculate my calorie goals.
- Nutrition Data.com – I use their search engine to get food information and for estimated glycemic index ratings for the food I eat.
- A bathroom scale for daily weigh-ins. (Soon to be upgraded to a Tanita Digital scale.)
- Burn The Fat, Feed the Muscle e-book. I love the information in here. I have read this a lot and I incorporate so much of it into my diet.
- The Hacker’s Diet. I use this web site to record my daily weigh-ins. It keeps track of my weight loss trends and my weekly deficits based on my weight. I find it so much better at giving me a larger picture of my weight loss and whether I am actually on a losing trend or a gaining trend.
What are some of the basic things I do to lose weight and stay healthy ?
(Note: this may change as time goes on. I’m sure I’ll need to do a lot of tweaking to get it right!)
*I try to lose 1% of my bodyweight per week. (EX: If I weigh 150, I try to lose 1.5 pounds per week.)
* I base my calorie intake on the Mifflin-St.Jeor equation.
*My food choices are based on the Low-Glycemic Index/Load lists.
*I eat 5-6 meals a day – every 3 hours or so.
*I exercise 30-45 minutes 4 to 5 times/week.
*Strength train 2-3 times a week.
*My macronutrient ratio is : 40-50% Carbs, 25-35% Protein and 20-30% Fat. (Usually 45-30-25)
*Sodium under 2500 mg every day.
*Protein with every meal.
*Cup of white tea every day.
*A MUFA (monounsaturated fat) serving with my 3 main meals.
*Attempt a 2:1 ratio of Carbohydrates to Protein at every meal. (EX: 30 grams of carbs to 15 grams of protein)
*80-96 ounces of water every day. (5 or 6 of those 16oz water bottles)